Brrr it’s getting to be pretty cold outside where we live. When cold weather hits I love making soups and chowders for my family to warm up their bellies. A couple of weeks ago I made this Creamy Bacon and Potato Soup and it came out so good the kiddos were asking if I could make it again.
This soup is pretty simple to make and doesn’t require too many ingredients.
What you will need:
5 regular sized Potatoes
- 1/2 lb Turkey Bacon or Reg Bacon
- 2-3 Whole carrots
- 1/2 of an Onion
- Carton of Traditional Cream starter (26.1 oz)
- 2-3 Sticks of Celery Hearts
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, Sea Salt or reg Salt
- 1/2 tsp Back Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbls Un-salted or salted Butter
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- French friend Onions
First start out by cooking your bacon. All depending if you like to multi-task you could peel and wash your potatoes at this point while the bacon is cooking. Having someone who wants to help in the kitchen is always a great help and can cut down on preparation time. =)
After the bacon is cooked and is placed on a paper towel to cool it’s time to wash the carrots and celery and cut them into small pieces. Also cut the potatoes into smaller pieces and peel and dice your onion.
After everything is cut and ready to go it’s time to start your soup. Use a fairly large pot and add a tablespoon or two of un-salted or salted Butter. Toss in the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add the salt and pepper to season and cook on medium heat until the mixture is warmed. Take the now cooled bacon and crumble into pieces.
Add your Thyme, bacon and entire carton of Cream Starter to your pot. Mix well.
Bring to a boil and turn back onto medium heat. Cover and let simmer. Stir occasionally. Simmer for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender but not mushy.
Add toppings and enjoy!
- ◾5 regular sized Potatoes
- ◾1/2 lb Turkey Bacon or Reg Bacon
- ◾2-3 Whole carrots
- ◾1/2 of an Onion
- ◾Carton of Traditional Cream starter (26.1 oz)
- ◾2-3 Sticks of Celery Hearts
- ◾1/2 tsp Kosher salt, Sea Salt or reg Salt
- ◾1/2 tsp Back Pepper
- ◾1/4 tsp Thyme
- ◾1 tbls Un-salted or salted Butter
- ◾Plain Greek Yogurt
- ◾French friend Onions
- Cook bacon until well done. Meanwhile peel and wash potatoes
- Wash carrots and celery then dice into small pieces
- Dice potatoes, peel onion and cut into smaller pieces
- Add Butter to bottom of large pot and add potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Add Salt and Pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until warmed.
- Crumble bacon and add that and Thyme to the mixture.
- Add entire carton of cream starter to pot and mix well
- Bring to a boil and turn down to medium heat
- Simmer for 35-40 minutes
- Add toppings and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by and hope you come back and visit us soon.