Even though it’s getting really cold outside I love this time of year. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love everything about it. I always look forward to decorating the Christmas tree with family, cooking for guests and watching all the old Christmas shows that have been on even before I was a child.
This past weekend I wanted to do something crafty that involved Christmas. We have been going through Stonyfield yogurt like crazy! We use it in our holiday recipes and the kiddos love their YoKids organic yogurt pouches. Our family recycles and while getting ready to put our yogurt cups into the recycle bin I had an idea. Why not turn the empty containers into an ornament?
DIY Christmas Ornaments:
Empty yogurt containers (5.3 oz)
- Jingle Bells
- Acrylic Jewels
- Glitter Glue
- Ornament hooks – if you choose to use
- Get a comfortable work area set up. You may want to lay down paper or something of that sort to protect your table from the glitter glue.
- Peel the labels off the empty yogurt containers.
- Use a thumb tack or another small sharp object to make a hole in the top of the yogurt cup. All depending on the size of thread you use, you may want to use the sharp end of your scissors to make the hole a little larger.
- Cut off about 6 inches of thread and tie a jingle bell to one side of it.
- With the other side of the thread make a loop and tie it to the thread as shown above. This will make a loop that will hold the ornament on the tree.
- Thread the loop side up through the bottom of the yogurt container. The knot that was made will stop the thread from coming up any further.
Now it’s time to decorate your ornament any way you want. My youngest daughter loves arts and crafts and I knew she would have a blast making her ornament the way she wanted it to look. We decorated them with the glitter glue and covered them with the sparkly jewels. They were a lot of fun to make. My daughter couldn’t wait for them to dry so we could hang them on the tree.
So the next time you are getting ready to recycle your yogurt containers try these DIY Christmas ornaments.
“This post was created in partnership with Stonyfield. All opinions are my own.”